Support > Article
Aviation database updates are managed through the flyGarmin website. The link to the flyGarmin website can be found at the bottom of the Garmin website homepage - http://www.garmin.com/en-US .
A single user account is used to manage all of your aviation equipment.
On the right side of the flyGarmin homepage, ‘Sign In’ to your existing account (or ‘Create One’).
Database updates are managed by aviation device.
Once logged into the account, select the Devices Tab
Database updates are purchased using a device/system profile.
1. If you have previously created a device profile, click on the picture of the Aera 5XX.
2. If you have not previously created a device profile, select/click the “Add Device" button located on the top right side of the Devices page, and click on the picture of the device you would like to be added to flygarmin.
3. Determine the correct Unit ID/System ID of your device for the device profile. DO NOT USE THE SERIAL NUMBER/BARCODE. Use the steps below determine the Unit ID/System ID of your device. Enter this Unit ID/System ID in the flyGarmin device profile.
d. Complete the device profile using the Unit ID from your device.
(Aera 5xx series: Main Menu – Tools – Database – Unit ID (near the bottom of the list))
> > >
Available databases are listed for each product profile and Coverage Area
1. Select/click the "Buy Databases" button located to the right of the device name to bring up the coverage map.
2. Click the areas of the map where you will be flying
3. Click on the type of subscription you would like (i.e. Annual coverage, Single updates, or Bundles if offered), whether you want to include Flitecharts or not, and a navigation data preference.
4. Click the "Add to Cart" button located to the right of the databases you would like to purchase
Databases must be installed directly to the aera 5xx – connected to your computer with a USB cable.
Once the required billing information is entered and the purchase is finished, go back to fly.Garmin.com. Next, at the top of the web page click on the word “Devices”.
If a bundle was purchased: you will first need to click the "Complete Bundle Purchase" button to start the bundle.
Finally, click on the picture of the Aera 5XX, then the blue/white button called “Install Updates”. Follow the prompts to install your database(s).
M-F: 7am-7pm (CST/CDT)
Sa-Su: 7am-6pm (CST/CDT)
Closed U.S. holidays.
Phone: 1-866-739-5687 (U.S./Canada)
1-883-739-5687 (Latin America/Caribbean)
Hours: M-F: 8am-5pm (GMT)
Closed weekends and U.K. holidays.
Phone: +44 (0) 37 0850 1243
Fax: +44 (0) 23 8052 4004
Hours: M-F: 8am-5pm
Phone: +65 6709 4220 (GMT+8)
Australia: +61 2 9679 3434 (GMT+10)
Fax: +65 6348 0278
Americas Phone: 1-913-397-0836
EMEA Phone: +44 (0) 23 8066 2900*Expedited service fees may apply